It's already Sept. 8--where the hell did the last few weeks go? Oh, I know. They passed me by as I was laying in the recliner or in bed recovering from the hysterectomy. I'm ready to feel better. Not sure how soon that will happen though. I've not had any medications for my RA/fibro since July and it's really taking a toll. I think a snail moves quicker than I do most days.
But, that's not what this post is about!! Allison is starting pre-school tomorrow!!!!!! I've been trying to prepare her, letting her know when she is starting, getting her backpack and lunch box and telling her she's going to have to LISTEN to the teacher and not do what she wants to do in class. I think she will love it. She loves to be the center of attention though and I'm afraid she will have to learn the hard way that she's not the ONLY one in the class. She will go 3 days a week for a few hours and on Fridays, she gets to stay an extra hour to eat lunch with her class. I don't know what is more exciting, eating with a bunch of other 4 year olds or her new butterfly lunch box? I'll update as soon as possible with pics & info about her first day. Poor daddy has to be in Indpls for ANOTHER conference. I swear, how in the hell did I manipulate my schedule when I was working??
Cole seems to have adjusted fairly well to 5th grade. He's gotten a 100% A+ on EVERY.SINGLE.SPELLING.TEST so far!! Woo--Hoo!! That is a huge feat for him and we are making a big deal out of it. We still must figure out how many A's he needs to get in order to earn the Nintendo DS we have promised him. I am marking his progress on a chart. I just don't know how many we should make him achieve before issuing the reward. I don't want him to lose interest and give up before he's able to achieve it. But, I also don't want him thinking that he only needs a couple more and then he'll give up the rest of the year. I KNOW he is working hard. We are working hard right along with him to make sure he stays on track. Let me tell you, keeping his focus & concentration is the most challenging thing in my life. Standing firm is the second most difficult. But, all in all, I am pleased with how well he's doing. We've been talking to his teachers and they are pleased as well. Big Smiles!!
2 comments:
How wonderful that Cole is doing well! Have you decided how many spelling tests he needs yet? I was thinking see how the 1st quarter goes and maybe at the end of the quarter he recieves his DS.
Cyndi--we're still not really sure of a certain number. We need to figure out something soon. Last week, he didn't do so hot on the test, but it didn't kill his overall grade of an A, so I can't complain. We'll see how he does on this week's test and I think we will sit down and have a chat on which way to go.
I should also mention that because of his ADHD, he takes his spelling tests on the computer. No spell check of course. He loves using the computer and it's very hard for him to put pen to paper, as it is for most ADHD kids. We've found the computer is a great tool for him, so I had it put in his IEP (individual education plan) at school that he can be tested by computer or verbally. If he knows the answer, he knows it, regardless of whether he can write it. Lots of kids with ADHD struggle like this.
Post a Comment