Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Demo begins....

This is what the dining room looks like now that demo has begun. It is amazing how far drywall and plaster dust can spread. The stuff is EVERYWHERE! Oh--we could always hear critters of some kind in the wall. Now I know why. There's a brick chimney there!! This is where the old coal stove must have been. If you look at the picture close enough, you can see the hole in the upper portion that wasn't capped off. We haven't found any birds yet and we don't hear them anymore either. I bet they figured this mess is too much for them and they moved out.



This is the kitchen side of the mess--I have ALWAYS wanted to open up this wall between the kitchen and dining room and have a pass through counter. But, it's a load bearing wall and everyone said it can't be done. Hmmm...I am thinking of talking to the contractor tomorrow about some of my ideas.

Oh and don't be falling in love with my mustard colored refrigerator. "Sunflower" has been with us since we got married almost 12 years ago and it was estimated to be 10-15 years old when we bought it out of the newspaper. Best $75 we ever spent. We have always said we'd buy a new one when this one dies--it hasn't yet. (yeah, that's my ominous figure casting a shadow on the fridge for the pic)
Apparently, a coal stove was located in the kitchen too, because the hole is on this side of the chimney too. They attempted to close it up by putting bricks in the hole.

The good thing out of all this is that I am getting things remodeled the way I have always wanted to get them done. I am going to repaint the kitchen and dining room the way I want to. We'll be adding features that we've always talked about. And, if I am lucky, I just might get to redesign the kitchen with an idea or two that have popped into my head.

I will say that remodeling sucks---especially with a 2-year-old that doesn't understand that we need to wear shoes all the time. The other bonus is being able to eat out or bring home takeout every night since my kitchen is out of commission! :)

If anyone has a great idea sites on kitchen and bathrooms--let me know! I'm always looking for ideas!

3 comments:

Cyndi said...

Hey, remodeling might be fun. We are planning on building our house next spring and I am finding many things about this house I don't like. Amazing, huh?

Pug Mama said...

VERY COOL!!
I love following remodeling!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Val! It's Sandy! Looks awesome, I've been there so if I can make it through and keep my sanity so can you! It would be cool if you could incorporate the old chimney in somehow, I think things like that are awesome. What are some of your ideas? I might just have to come down there and see what I can think of to help, I love projects like that!